MICHAEL BATTAGLIA, MD
Dr. Michael (Mike) Battaglia joined our team of Seattle orthopedists at Bellevue Bone & Joint in 2009 after serving as the Head Team Orthopedic Physician and Surgeon at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD, and Orthopedic Staff Surgeon at the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Battaglia also worked at Johns Hopkins University and the University of California San Diego as a clinical instructor. Dr. Battaglia graduated from Uniformed Services University in Bethesda in 1991.
After completing his internship in Oakland, Dr. Battaglia served as a flight surgeon with the United States Marine Corps until completing his residency and training in orthopedics in San Diego in 1999. He completed a fellowship at the Hospital for Special Surgery, Cornell University in Manhattan 2003-2004, where he developed an interest and expertise in orthopedic shoulder surgery with expertise in hip, shoulder, and knee arthroscopy. This experience at the Hospital for Special Surgery focused on treating collegiate, Olympic, and professional athletes.
“I was first referred to BBJP for my son’s pinky finger fracture. Dr. Schick and Dr. Battaglia were awesome with him. Later I tore my ACL. Dr. Battaglia and Dr. Andrew were my surgeons and I am so glad to have trusted my knee and care with them. Cindy, Dr. Battaglia’s assistant is awesome as well. She was ready to answer all of my questions anytime and I am utmost thankful to the whole team.” - Archana K., Facebook Review
At Bellevue Bone & Joint Physicians, Dr. Battaglia, one of the top Seattle orthopedists, specializes in shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee arthroscopy. He has a special passion for caring for student athletes and donates his time as the team physician for the Issaquah High School football team. While at the Naval Academy he gained experience operating on a vast number of division IA NCAA athletes. Dr. Battaglia is proud of his military service. He is a retired Navy Captain (O-6) in the US Navy and he has cared for and operated on US Navy SEALS, Force Recon Marines, and the men and women serving in the Navy/Marine Corps. He was the chief orthopedic consultant for the SEAL teams on the west coast.
He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, Western Orthopaedic Association, and the Society of Military Orthopaedic Association.
- He has a special expertise in Hip Arthroscopy with cutting-edge techniques for labral repair and joint preservation
- He helped to pioneer advanced techniques in shoulder surgery including arthroscopic repair of rotator cuff injuries, shoulder instability, dislocation, and management of shoulder arthritis with total joint replacement and impingement syndrome.
- He is experienced in using all types of grafts to reconstruct the knee and has written journal articles on knee ligament injuries(American Journal of Sports Medicine) and book chapters on revision ACL surgery(Insall-Surgery of the Knee). His most recent book chapter is pending publication.
- Dr. Battaglia performs all arthroscopic and all inside meniscal repair of the knee.
- He has experience in performing over 200 fresh osteochondral allograft procedures for cartilage defects.
Dr. Michael Battaglia has published many peer-reviewed articles and contributed to many book chapters on sports injuries to include his recent book chapter in “ACL surgery how to get it right the first time”. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic surgeons, American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine, and The Arthroscopy Association of North America.
- Currently he is an editorial reviewer for three major orthopedic peer-reviewed journals to include American Journal of Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, and Orthopedics.
- Dr. Battaglia treats athletes of all ages and wants to get you back in the game.